Connect with us


Two staff of Federal Poly Ekiti State electrocuted



Two staff of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, yesterday died of electrocution while carrying out their statutory duties.

An eyewitness who spoke to journalists in Ado Ekiti on Tuesday said the victims were staff of the Department of Works and were said to have died while working on a defective borehole on campus.

One of the deceased is said to hail from Ado Ekiti while the other victim is from Kogi State.

Their identities are yet to be unveiled as at press time.

The source recounted that the men while working on the borehole made attempts to remove the galvanised pipe for repair when they were electrocuted.

”As they were removing the pipe, they didn’t know that it had gone up to the extent that it could touch a high tension wire around the area.

“Immediately the pipe touched the high tension wire, there was a huge spark that caused electrocution of the two men.

“Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution while other support workers were flung to far distances, but they neither died nor sustained serious bodily injuries”, he narrated.

When contacted, the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, confirmed the incident, saying the staff died while performing their duties.

“It was true that they got electrocuted while performing their duties. It was a sad and regrettable incident that the Polytechnic will regret for a long time”.

Adejolu added that the victim from Kogi had been taken to his town for immediate burial while the family of the other deceased had been contacted.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending Posts

Copyright © 2022 EMPIRETV